NSTD Research Projects: TRP
2007: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
2008: 1st, 2nd, 3rd,
TRP 33. Synthesis and Properties of Metallic Tc and Tc-Zr Alloys as a Radioactive Storage Waste Form to Stabilize the Tc Waste Stream of the UREX+1 Process
September 2006 - Current
Research Objectives & Methods
The research objectives of this project are as follows:
- Evaluate anion exchange methods for achieving the separation of Tc from U.
- Synthesize metallic Tc from the separated product.
- Synthesize and characterize Tc alloys.
- Investigate Tc-corrosion and Tc-leaching of binary Tc-Zr phases under a range of conditions.
The following experimental techniques are used in the evaluation of the solutions and solids from the experiments:
- ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy
- time-resolved laser fluorescence spectroscopy
- X-ray Absorption Fine-Structure Spectroscopy (XAFS)
- Ken Czerwinski, Chemistry
- Cynthia Gong, Harry Reid Center
- Longzhou Ma, Harry Reid Center
- Frederic Poineau, Harry Reid Center
- Gordon Jarvinen, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Doris Ford, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Al Sattelberger, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Ed Mausolf, PhD, Radiochemistry
- Julie Gostic, PhD, Radiochemistry
- Amber Wright, MS, Chemistry
- Julie du Bouchaud du Mazabrun, Visiting MS Student, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Chimie de Paris
- Solenne Michaud, Visiting Graduate Student, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Chimie de Paris