NSTD Research Projects: TRP
2007: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
2008: 1st, 2nd, 3rd,
TRP 32. Magnetohydrodynamic Simulation of Electromagnetic Pump in TC-1
September 2006 - Current
Research Objectives & Methods
The research objectives of this task are:
- A literature review of topics pertinent to EM pump design. These topics include the equations governing the physical phenomena occurring in EM pumps and mathematical algorithms used in modeling these physical phenomena, different EM pump configurations, and the effects of materials properties on pump performance.
- Development of computational models of the TC-1 loop at UNLV.
- Evaluation of the computational models through comparison with experimental data taken on the TC-1 loop.
- A parametric study of the TC-1 loop investigating the pumping efficiency as a function of operating conditions, materials properties, and geometric parameters.
- Daniel Cook, Mechanical Engineering
- Yitung Chen, Mechanical Engineering
- Jian Ma, Mechanical Engineering
- Huajun Chen, Mechanical Engineering
- Ning Li, LBE Team Leader, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Kartheek Yalamanchili, MS, Mechanical Engineering
- Chensong Dai, Graduate Student, Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Lucas Bang, Undergraduate Student, Mechanical Engineering
- Mathew Cutler, Undergraduate Student, Mechanical Engineering
- Siul Ruiz, Undergraduate Student, Mechanical Engineering
- Lillian Ratliff, Undergraduate Student, Electrical & Computer Engineering