NSTD Research Projects: TRP
TRP 26. Fundamental Chemistry of U and Pu in the TBP-Dodecane-Nitric Acid System
July 2004 - December 2007
Research Objectives & Methods
The research objective was to experimentally evaluate the fundamental speciation of Pu and U in the TBP-dodecane-nitric acid-AHA system and the effect of pertechnetate, specifically:
- To determine the influence of nitrate on the speciation of U and Pu in the TBP-dodecane-nitric acid system.
- To determine the speciation of U and Pu with AHA in the presence and absence of TBP-dodecane organic phase.
- To determine the interaction of AHA with pertechnetate, and the effect on the interaction of AHA and pertechnetate with U and Pu.
- To incorporate thermodynamic and kinetic data into existing modeling codes.
All of the initial experiments were performed with uranyl, UO22+. The results obtained from U were the basis for further experiments with Pu. In extraction experiments, the aqueous and organic phases were contacted in equal volumes from 0.3 to 5.0 mL.
- Ken Czerwinski, Chemistry
- Byron Bennett, Chemistry
- Cynthia Gong, Harry Reid Center
- Frederic Poineau, Harry Reid Center
- Thomas Albrecht-Schmitt, Auburn University
- George Vandergrift III, Senior Scientist, Chemical Technology Division, Argonne National Laboratory
- Inna Bashta, PhD, Radiochemistry
- Julie Gostic, PhD, Radiochemistry
- Wendy Pemberton, PhD, Radiochemistry
- Jeanette Daniels, PhD, Radiochemistry
- Amber Wright, Masters, Chemistry
- Jade Morgan, Undergraduate, Chemistry
- Jeremy Maute, Undergraduate, Chemistry
- Trent Ohman, Undergraduate, Chemistry
- Ira Racoma, Undergraduate, Chemistry
- Lena Wright, Undergraduate, Chemistry
- Mari Bonnaud, Visiting Graduate Student, Ecole nationale superieure de chimie de Paris
- Julie du Bouchaud du Mazabrun, Visiting Masters Student, Ecole nationale superieure de chimie de Paris